America's crisis of values

A few months ago I stopped at a CVS store not far from my home. The manager checked my items out for me and began to lament the 2:30 daily invasion of local high schools students that was just minutes way. "Do the students cause a problem? I asked, his response was "they steal everything, if they don't leave their bags at the door then I don't let them in" he said. These students, by the way are not poor "inner city" kids, but suburban kids from Cleveland Hts which has a median household income of over $47,000. From that day on I would notice signs at every drug stores or convenience stores. Some of them read "no students under 18 in store without adult supervision. Others limit the number of students allowed in or mandate that they leave their backpacks at the door before entering.

I was watching a program on MSNBC and one of my least favorite lefties, Harry Belafonte was speaking to inmates at a state penitentiary as he often does. Banana man made a very curious comment about "3 million people in prison needs to be fixed". The fact that we have so many in our prison system in America isn't something to be proud of, however, I personally don't lose sleep over it. What I really find disturbing is the level of corruption, crime, and fraud in the richest country in the world.According to some estimates, employee theft from small businesses amounts to nearly 40 billion per year! Cheap money and lax federal oversight aside, our current housing crisis was brought also by corruption on all levels.

With the advent of technology, thievery has reached new level in identity theft. Credit card, bank fraud, embezzlement and not to mention the drug trade has taken an unbelievable toll on our nation. The more decadent our society becomes the more calls for the federal government to solve the problem. The most important institutions our nation are family, churches and schools. Once the family breaks down the others will be rendered ineffective. Those institutions cannot be replaced with government programs as many believe. The most important issue for me is the issue of values i.e. faith, discipline, family and character. This "crisis of values" in America is what concerns me the most about my country since it breeds so many social ills and continues to swell the size of our government which once again has to fork over billions to save a financial institution from itself. Bill Clinton spoke of the end of the era of big government. I am afraid that tales of the demise of big government have been greatly exaggerated.

Comments

Karyn Beach said…
Values is the elephant in the room. it's clearly there yet no one wants to talk about it! I think it is the key to turning things around for us. Values need to replace excuses and exceptions in our homes and in our schools. I think values and accountability are key.

Popular posts from this blog

The Legend Of The Unarmed White Man (Revised)

BP Crisis Brings Out Radical Left

Uncovering A Gigantic Royal Scam