Worst Economy Since The Depression?

One of the hundreds of things I despise about television news is the cliches that emerge from the world of political punditry. The worn out phrases "the last eight years", "Bush's failed economic policies" immediately come to mind. The latest one that disturbs me is "This is the worst economy since the great depression". I wonder why these types of statements are almost always uttered by democrats?

I would like to partake in one of my favorite pastimes: poking holes in liberal none sense. During the great depression 25-30% of Americans were out of work, almost half of the nations 25,000 banks failed, thousands were standing in bread and soup lines and Wall Street investors were jumping out of windows! Then there was the 1970's and 80's when inflation reached double digits, rust best jobs were disappearing which caused unemployment rates between 7-11%.I take no comfort in the fact that these comments are spewed by so called "financial experts". I am by no means stating that these economic times are not difficult, I am however attempting to inject some much needed perspective.

As a student of history, I find that those who make comparative statements usually have little historical context in which to make such statements. I can't help but laugh at those who call President Bush "the worst president in history" when many of them know presidential history as well they know the history of the Polish Renaissance. I would challenge those who think that we are going back to the days of Herbert Hoover to turn off your televisions and go out in the world. You'll see that people in spite of the hard times they may be experiencing are not starving and we have not turned into Somalia or Haiti. At the epicenter of this thinking is our spectacularly great lifestyle we live and have lived in America for decades. Even though things are not as solid economically as we would like, things are still pretty good. If you don't believe me, talk to someone from Haiti.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Legend Of The Unarmed White Man (Revised)

BP Crisis Brings Out Radical Left

Uncovering A Gigantic Royal Scam